[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 263
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-11-29 05:05:29 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-mole

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jeff Groves wrote:

> So, as I have grown to understand from the reading that I've done and from your email
below,
> the effort behind SIQ is to create an expert system that is able to reason whether or
not an
> email is crap or not.  Better than filtering, an expert system is adeptly honed to be
able to
> mimic the choices for letting valid email through that a seasoned, experienced
postmaster
> conjures up with an assortment of blackhole lists and milters.
>
> Am I getting warm in my interpretation?

Thats a reasonable perspective to take.

There already exists several "reputation" services, but they have
proprietary client/server protocols that would each require a dedicated
milter to use each of them. The goal of the SIQ protocol, that was
submitted as an Internet draft and that I hope will be adopted as an
RFC, is to provide a standard protocol for client/server communication.
milter-siq was a proof of concept aimed at demonstrating and testing the
protocol with at least one SIQ supporting service (some others have
begun to show interest in the SIQ protocol).

One problem though that April Lorenzen alluded to is that, while the SIQ
protocol is aimed at standardising the queires and response, each
reputation service will vary in quality and method since they are free
to implement their service in an unspecified manner. Therefore you'll
have some services that will give responses based on facts and
historical behaviour like an expert system would, while some may be more
subjective with lobbyist-like behaviour (ie. someone paid us to say nice
things; sort like Versign, Thwate, and other security certificate
authorities).

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search