[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 213
Date: 2004-10-21 23:22:19 -0400
Subject: Re: socket error on FreeBSD 4.10

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Anthony Howe schrieb:,

> Dirk Meyer wrote:
> > SendMail from FreeBSD ports compiles with every Berkeley DB version.
> > But if you use any other version than DB 1.85, you must configure
> > your system in make.conf to use the port version of each tool.
>
> What is the /etc/make.conf entry to do this?

I added now some simpler Options so building with newer dbs is a bit easier:
SENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=2
SENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=3
SENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=4
SENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=41
SENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=42

> >>Is it possible for you to help us (FreeBSD ports users) with a howto on
> >>how to install Milter-Sender on FreeBSD using most of the components
> >> from the ports (like Sendmail and BDB)?
> >

> > I suggest to build sendmail without an extra berkley db installed.
> > Then you build milter-sender with the db of your choice.
>
> For milter-sender (and any of my other milters using cache/access
> databases), you must build Sendmail and the milters with the same
> version of Berkely DB. As I understood in an email from Keith Bostic on
> the matter, newer versions of Berkely DB can not read BDB 1.85 file
> format, so applications that must access the same database, must be
> linked with the same BDB library.

1. Milter has not dependency on the sendmaildb.
2. A milter can use and db it want.
3. Only if you have to read/write the databases sendmail uses,
   you have to match the db version.

If you milter must do this, you can have a nice workaround:
You have "access" and "access.db" in native sendmail.
Your milter can still use a new db scheme.

mkdir /etc/mail/milter
ln -s /etc/mail/milter/access /etc/mail/access
cd /etc/mail && makemap hash access <access
cd /etc/mail/milter && makemap-db42 hash access <access

giving each program its own hash to work on may work
even with an unmodifed sendamil.

tell me if I am wrong.

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
- [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer@guug.de],[dinoex@FreeBSD.org]

Lists Index Date Thread Search