[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 184
From: Keith Bostic
Date: 2004-10-19 09:03:24 -0400
Subject: Re: socket error on FreeBSD 4.10

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> From: Anthony Howe <achowe@snert.com>
>
> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> SendMail from FreeBSD ports compiles with every Berkeley DB version.
>> But if you use any other version than DB 1.85, you must configure
>> your system in make.conf to use the port version of each tool.
>
> What is the /etc/make.conf entry to do this?
>
>>> Is it possible for you to help us (FreeBSD ports users) with a
>>> howto on how to install Milter-Sender on FreeBSD using most of
>>> the components from the ports (like Sendmail and BDB)?
>>
>> I suggest to build sendmail without an extra berkley db installed.
>> Then you build milter-sender with the db of your choice.
>
> For milter-sender (and any of my other milters using cache/access
> databases), you must build Sendmail and the milters with the same
> version of Berkely DB. As I understood in an email from Keith Bostic on
> the matter, newer versions of Berkely DB can not read BDB 1.85 file
> format, so applications that must access the same database, must be
> linked with the same BDB library.
>
> I've CC'ed Kieth on this for confirmation, which I'll forward to the
> list for the record later.

Applications sharing databases (that is, the physical database
file, but not the database environment files, for example log
files) need to use compatible versions of Berkeley DB.  Note,
no current DB release can read DB 1.85 format files, however,
the DB database formats haven't changed in a few years, so most
current releases of DB use the same database format.

Applications sharing database environments (for example, log
files) almost certainly need to use the same exact DB version.

Regards,
--keith

Keith Bostic			bostic@sleepycat.com
Sleepycat Software Inc.		keithbosticim (ymsgid)
118 Tower Rd.			+1-781-259-3139
Lincoln, MA 01773		http://www.sleepycat.com

Lists Index Date Thread Search