[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 150
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-10-14 03:39:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Getting started with milters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

John Poltorak wrote:
> I've never used a milter before although I would like to try something
> out, but there seem to be so many hoops to jump through.
>
> I don't really want to have to build sendmail just to see if I can run a
> milter. Is there something simple I can try using sendmail 8.11.6 just to
> get started?

Umm. Not sure that version of Sendmail even supported the libmilter API.
 From what I recall Sendmail 8.12.8 or better supports milters.  And
since Sendmail 8.13.1 is out and there have been the usual bug and
security fixes, I would update. Its not that hard, especially if you're
on a FreeBSD or Debian systems with their package updates. Also in
8.13.0+ there is a new feature `greet_pause' which is a neat technique
against spammers that pipeline messages to a server.

However, this list is for support and discussion about milters I've
authored. All my milters will work on Sendmail 8.12.9 or better. Not too
sure about versions prior to that point in time. For general sendmail /
milter help, I'd contact milter.org or post to comp.mail.sendmail.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search