[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 143
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-10-08 11:44:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Broken Pipe?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:03:19 +0200, Anthony Howe <achowe@snert.com> wrote:
>

>>This error appears because either the sendmail > milter (see
>>INPUT_MAIL_FILTER settings discussed in the documentation) or milter >
>>sendmail timeouts are too short (see the MilterSocketTimeout,
>>MxCallBackMaxAttempts, and/or SocketTimeout might have some impact).
>

> Thanks for your response. I am using the FreeBSD port of milter-sender

I suggest you read this:

http://www.snert.com/Software/ecartis/index.php?go=/milters/2004-09/77

because FreeBSD has issues with the cache that can crash the milter.
This would evoke the kind of errors you are seeing, especially on
versions prior to 0.62.

> and also the default settings that come with the port, which are:
>
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(
>          `milter-sender',
>          `S=unix:/var/spool/milter-sender/socket, T=C:1m;S:30s;R:6m;E:1m'
> )dnl
>
> Are these values Ok? Do you suggest some change?

The defaults should handle most cases. They work on our server at work
(a FreeBSD 4.9), where we process about 52K messages a day and I've
seldom seen errors because of timeout. And when I do it usually a sign
that the process has disappeared.

> I am using milter-sender 0.61 because it's the latest version on the
> FreeBSD ports collection. I intend to upgrade as soon as the port is
> upgrades, because it simplifies very much all package management tasks.

Volker Stolz, who is subscribed on this list, may have a comment on
that, but I wouldn't count on future /usr/ports being available given my
possible future direction for myself and the software.

I would suggest doing a manual install of 0.62.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search