[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 140
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-10-08 10:28:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter-ahead and messages left in queue

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Gib Gilbertson Jr. wrote:
> Any help would be appreciated. Here is a copy of the logs for one of the
> messages. They all appear the same.
>
> Oct  4 12:02:15 thumper milter-ahead[24324]: 07824 i94InFPl074404:
> rcpt_host='cox.net.' is not a defined route, skipping

The message "not a defined route" means the call-ahead test in
milter-ahead or milter-sender failed, because "cox.net" does not have a
mailertable entry with MX lookup disabled. This is mentioned in the
milter-ahead / milter-sender documentation.

The call-ahead does NOT perform an MX lookup, because it was originally
designed for a mail gateway to check mail addresses with an internal
system where the next hop / destination would be known.  If you handle
mail for cox.net then you need to alter the mailertable entry for it to
something like:

	cox.net		esmtp:[123.45.67.89]

The square brackets are important, since that disables the sendmail MX
lookup and is a sign to the call-ahead test that you truely know where
the message is going.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search