[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 69
From: Ryan Moore
Date: 2004-09-22 16:07:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Question about milter-sender

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Anthony Howe wrote:
>>would be interesting if it could detect that the MAIL FROM points to the
>>MTA itself and do a call-ahead on that and go from there.
>

> Huh? Now you've lost me (not hard when I'm at Stars'N'Bars in Monaco).
>
> Are you suggesting that if the MAIL argument points to the server itself
> that it continue to perform the call-ahead?

heh sorry, I'll try to explain what I meant (just thinking outloud?).

When an email comes in using our domain (mail from: someone@perigee.net,
or any other domain we host), I assume that milter-sender looks up the
MX, sees that it points to the box that the milter is running on, and
decides to not call-back on it.

If the milter detected that the MAIL FROM parameter was one that pointed
back to itself, it would instead call-ahead on that to find out if the
from address is correct. Though I suppose this would really have limited
effectiveness, since it would only stop mail coming from
bogus-user@domain.com and going to real-user@domain.com.

Ryan Moore
Perigee.net Corporation
704-849-8355 (sales)