[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 68
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-09-22 16:06:53 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-ahead action for no response

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

April Lorenzen wrote:
> I use milter-ahead on a gateway MTA. My question is, does
> milter-ahead only reject with "user unknown", if the next MTA is
> contactable and says that it isn't accepting delivery for that user?
>
> Or does milter-ahead reject with "user unknown" if the next MTA is
> down or temporarily unreachable?

"User unknown" is returned by Sendmail and milter-ahead/milter-sender.
The milter will return a message like:

	... rejected recipient. Their reason ...

for the RCPT, which is typically "User unknown". The result *code* is
cached and subsequent tests against the cache are returned as "User
unknown" as would Sendmail.

> I had a case today where it looked like a user who has existed for
> months, got into the milter-ahead cache as unknown. I'm guessing that
> coincidentally mail came into the gateway for him at a moment when
> the connection to the next MTA timed out. After restarting
> milter-ahead, mail for him was accepted again.

Interesting and worth testing for if I can figure out how.

Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search