[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 41
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-09-15 13:29:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Try and cover all mailers

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jamie Jones wrote:
> If you do decide to go commercial, I'd suggest making the
> milters work with EXIM, and QMAIL etc. in addition to sendmail.
> - cover all the main bases, and you won't get someone on
> newly discovering the software saying "that's good - I'll write
> one that works with qmail"

Its been suggested many time in many groups, but apparently the
libmilter design for some reason doesn't fit into design structure of
those MTAs. Postfix being way out.  I'm not familar with the Exim or
Qmail, but Postfix breaks up the whole message process into multiple
processes, which apparently don't lend themselves well to libmilter
design structure.

I've even considered hacking Postifx myself to make it work with
libmilter. I still believe it possible, because the messages have to
come into a process that handles the SMTP connection before they can be
shunted to other process. However,  Wietse Venema of Postfix claims it
can't be done. One day ...

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search