[BarricadeMX] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 24
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2010-03-04 18:39:03 -0500
Subject: Re: BMX log searching

On 04/03/2010 23:33, Mike Bacher whispered from the shadows...:
> On the search logs page, what does "Use index if available" mean?  If
> there is something I need to do to "index" my logs, let me know.
>
> Also, it would be nice if the search page would include the sendmail
> lines in the "grep" search parameters, so you can see not only the smtpf
> entries, but the corresponding sendmail lines as well...

Note that BarricadeMX+ and the BarricadeMX web user interface (WUI)
issues should go directly to FSL, though Steve Freegard of FSL does
follow this list. This list focuses on the core engine smtpf aka
BarricadeMX aka BMX, at least that was my intent when I created the
list. FSL staff are welcome to comment on their areas.

However, I think merging sendmail related lines may not be practical.
Also note that BMX works with all manner of MTAs, which may or may not
be local to the machine.

Consider BMX on one machine forwarding mail directly to an Exchange
machine, Postfix, Exim, etc. BMX also can forward to more than one
MTA/machine at once. So to collect all the related logs from other
machines would be next to impossible in real time.

Even if the MTA is local to BMX one can't assume that the MTA is
sendmail nor can BMX keep track of all possible MTA logging formats.
Remember too that the log gathering is done in the WUI, not in the smtpf
engine, so there are some time constraints as to how long a web browser
will wait for an answer from the web server, typically 30 seconds.

Now BMX+, which is the combination of sendmail, mailscanner, and
mailwatch, etc., knows its components, so something might be possible
there. Steve Freegard would have to answer that since that's his baby.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search