[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 3914
From: Richard Mealing
Date: 2014-11-14 15:00:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Documentation query

Well from my reading it says you are clear where it should go, so it won't do an mx lookup
or do a test ahead.
I guess you could just have a local DNS server and zone file for your domains, if you want
to do this lookup, instead of the mailer table thing.
Rich

Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 Nov 2014, at 17:15, Jon Rowlan <jon.rowlan@sads.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to work out on one of my servers, why milter-ahead doesn't seem to be
looking ahead.

> I have mail from someone@hotmail.com being delivered to one of my domains that I have
in access as

> domain.com        RELAY
>
> and where I have a mailertable entry
>
> domain.com        esmtp:[server.anotherdomain.com]
>
> Reading a paragraph near the top of the web page, I don't quite understand but I
think this means that I should be getting a look ahead:

> "With the square-brackets around a host name or IP address, the route is well
defined and the postmaster knows exactly which server is the next hop for mail in the
recipient domain. This milter does not perform MX lookups when the square brackets are
missing by default and thus would skip the call-ahead test (see mx-lookup)."

> This suggests that if square brackets are present a look ahead should be run.
>
> Is there any other reason why the look ahead simply doesn't work?
>
> I am seeing:
>
> Nov 14 16:25:34 ant milter-ahead[10808]: 01688 sAEGPWiI026339:
address='jon.rowlan6@hotmail.com' localleft='jon.rowlan6' localright=''
domain='hotmail.com' auth='(null)'

smfAccessPattern(80a3748, xxx@domain.com, (null), 0) rc=95 action='(no action)'