[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 640
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2010-06-08 03:56:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Comments on this backscatterer.org?

On 07/06/2010 16:29, Andrew Lyon whispered from the shadows...:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Anthony Howe <achowe@snert.com> wrote:

> I didn't realise milter-sender had been discontinued, may I ask why?
>
> Andy
>
>> The comprehensive product, BarricadeMX, has the shared cache support for
>> all the techniques is supports: classic grey listing, grey content
>> listing, call-ahead, call-back, etc.

It was a hard choice to make. milter-sender was my first milter and  one
of the best implementations of call-back IMO. But after seven years, it
was getting a little long in the tooth. BarricadeMX came along as my
flag ship product, a comprehensive SMTP proxy filter that is a fusion of
all the milters, plus many more tests.

As an independent developer with 22 titles, trying to maintain them all,
back-port BarricadeMX improvements, add new features, and testing is not
an easy task. The code overlap between many of the milters and
BarricadeMX was just enough to be similar, but different enough that I
couldn't formulate APIs to simplify maintenance for all of them.

milter-sender comprises of three techniques: call-back, call-ahead, and
grey-listing. Trying to keep it up to date with respect to BarricadeMX
advances, which does all that and more, involves lots of work.

In addition call-back as an anti-spam technique is not well received by
large mail services; personally I think any technique that blocks spam
is useful, but more and more sites would block IPs using call-back
treating it as either as a dictionary attack or backscatter. Plus the
technique can be abused by spammers to harvest email addresses by proxy.
So part of the decision was also political. Note that while BarricadeMX
supports call-back, it is disabled by default since version 1.0, because
of the politics.

Essentially it boils down to a low ROI for milter-sender vs. a more
comprehensive product like BarricadeMX.

/me Wish I could figure out a nice way to broadcast an online demo of
BarricadeMX, its web-interface, SMTP interface (admin commands & stats),
and show off the feature set. Then people might see why I invest so much
time in it.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search