[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 77
From: Todd Lyons
Date: 2009-08-27 21:00:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: milter-date ignores -strict-date-syntax option

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Todd Lyons<tlyons@ivenue.com> wrote:
>>> I have milter-date in deployment, I'm getting valid customers whose
>> Can you please send samples of the bad Date or Received header time
>> stamps that fail to parse please. I can then see if the formats are
>> sufficient enough to support.
> Aug 25 07:49:11 smtp4 sendmail[22683]: n7PEmtiU022683:
> to=<chris@meinecke-richards.com>, delay=00:00:01, pri=67537, stat="Tue
> Aug 25 09:48:47 CDT 2009" does not conform to RFC 2822 section 3.3.
> Date and Time Specification

Followup, as quoted above, the date was:
Tue Aug 25 09:48:47 CDT 2009

And I verified that simply swapping the time zone and year was
considered a valid format, as shown below:

> [rpmbuild@telesto util]$ ./convertDate -v 'Tue Aug 25 09:48:47 2009 CDT'

I did speak with the admin of the site who was having difficulty
sending to us (an insurance company).  They contacted the software
company who wrote the app that was generating the emails (a java app).
 After hounding the software company for a day, the software company
finally understood the issue and acknowledged that it did not meet the
RFC's and said they would publish a fix "soon".  I don't expect this
fix to hit their production servers for a couple months.

As a temporary fix, I modified the lib to check for "year timezone"
order, then fallback to check for "timezone year" order before
determining that the date does not pass muster.  It's working for me,
though I can imagine that this would never be accepted into your main
code base because the modified format does not meet any RFC
specification, either current or obsoleted.

The only thing that kept me from whitelisting the sender in the access
file was that I didn't see any way to tell the milter to look in ldap
instead of the access file.  I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to
modify the access file on 4 different servers, but it was more of a
challenge and education for me to hack on the c so I chose that route.

--
Regards...      Todd

Lists Index Date Thread Search