[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1949
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2009-01-23 14:46:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Caution concerning use of uribl.com

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster uttered...:
> I changed my milter-link policy to tag.

That is one solution.

The other is to use multi.surbl.org. Remember milter-link can query
multiple lists. Uribl.com is not bad and I'm not sure what their
threshold is for "high" volume, but their no-service policy just means
you have beware what might happen.

If you query DNS BLs via a third party DNS, like that of an ISP or data
centre, then the sum total of the clients using that DNS server that
also query the same BL will probably get nicked by uribl.com. Running
your own independent DNS server in such cases will probably get around
this situation.

Clearly you need an idea of your volume and if you been managing so far,
you can probably continue, but you need to take care should you volume
rise significantly.

Teh otehr thing would be to check sites like surbl.org and uribl.com to
find out what their high volume thresholds are or inquire with them.
Large sites that find the services useful maybe should consider a
commercial data feed.

My concern though is with uribl.com's no-service policy could cause harm
if the postmaster isn't paying attention.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search