[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1849
From: Richard McLean
Date: 2008-03-31 06:30:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Centralizing milters

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On 31/03/2008, at 8:53 PM, Anthony Howe wrote:

> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> Richard McLean uttered...:
>> Up until now we've been running single server type situations with
>> the
>> snert milters, self-contained with each server running their own
>> copies of the milters. Now we're looking to centralize, particularly
>> with ClamAV and Spamassassin.
>
> Why? If it works, why muck with it?

It works, but at the expense of higher load and memory use on servers
we'd prefer to be doing something else. We have other servers that are
vastly under-utilized, with memory and CPU time to spare, a much
better place to be doing high-resource, but centralize-able, use stuff
like virus scanning (especially with clamd, which seems to be using
ever increasing memory with each new version).

We've done a few servers so far (with just moving spamd/clamd), and
load on them has halved as a result.

cheers,
Richard

Lists Index Date Thread Search