[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1803
From: Ben Spencer
Date: 2007-10-29 13:54:15 -0400
Subject: milter-gris: possible db lock contention?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

I have been running into a situation with milter-gris (miltert-gris: 0.21;
libsnert: 1.65; dbd 4.2.52) which I think may be related to a lock condition
on the database since an "error state" seems to happen when the "cache
remove" process is running.
Question:
For a database this size, is dbd the best option over hash and flatfile
(cache-type)? I realize it might not be black and white as one better then
the other.

Looking at the database, I see the following from db_stat (on a copy of the
database)
61561   Hash magic number.
8       Hash version number.
Flags:  little-endian
4096    Underlying database page size.
75      Specified fill factor.
1529516 Number of keys in the database.
1529516 Number of data items in the database.
57334   Number of hash buckets.
108M    Number of bytes free on bucket pages (54% ff).
0       Number of overflow pages.
0       Number of bytes free in overflow pages (0% ff).
4834    Number of bucket overflow pages.
17M     Number of bytes free in bucket overflow pages (14% ff).
0       Number of duplicate pages.
0       Number of bytes free in duplicate pages (0% ff).
3504    Number of pages on the free list.

Other numbers from the logs (using grep):
Hour		Remove Key		error state		Fully
Processed email
00		6982			0			5106
01		4839			0			5925
02		4658			0			5691
03		3204			0			7004
04		3847			0			5073
05		4668			94			7663
06		6623			205			10600
07		475			9312			1301
08		0			8951			0
09		0			12710			0
10		0			18299			0
11		37868			4694			3655
(this problem was discovered and fixed -- milter restarted -- in the 11am
hour)

Milter timeout settings: F=T;T=C:1m;S:30s;R:6m;E:1m

I am open to other possibilities also.

Thanks
benji

---