[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1761
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2007-10-06 13:47:07 -0400
Subject: Re: circular SPF references

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:
> Does milter-spiff reject a message with circular SPF references?  Or is it a
> spf-fail status?

 From the lib/mail/spf.c comments:

	/* Circular references with include: or redirect=, see
	 * budgetdialup.com and expedia.com. Ignore already visited
	 * entries.
	 *
	 * The SPF Internet draft in section 10.1 places a limit
	 * on the total number of DNS lookups at 10 after which
	 * PermError should be returned. By returning Neutral for
	 * already included/redirected domains, we can allow the
	 * remainder of the mechanisms to be processed.
	 *
	 * Consider the following case:
	 *
	 * example.org says my users might be roaming on foobar.net
	 * foobar.net says their users might be roaming on example.org
	 * where both are legit.
	 */
	qualifier = SPF_NEUTRAL;

So circular references will result in a neutral/none result unless a
subsequent method yields an explicit pass/fail.

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         ICQ: 7116561          BarricadeMX & Milters

Lists Index Date Thread Search