[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1507
From: Steve Freegard
Date: 2007-03-19 09:14:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter-null Core Dump

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Hi Jim,

Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> I'm running milter-null 0.3.10 with libsnert 1.63.892
>
> The OS is Fedora Core 4 - Linux version 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp
>
> It's running Version 8.13.7 with libmilter.h,v 8.51 2006/01/04
>
> Sysctl reports:
> error: "kern.nosuidcoredump" is an unknown key
> I think that Fedora dropped the ability to dump core for suid programs.

On RH/Fedora, you have to set 'ulimit -c unlimited' in /etc/profile and run:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/suid_dumpable

To get the kernel to enable the core file to be created.

> Does milter-null have to run as a suid program?  I have the user and group
> set to root, so it is not a feature that I use.

I wouldn't advise running the milters as root as they really don't need
the extra permissions.

> I'm having trouble just identifying which program is crashing the box, so
> all I need is the PID.  The offending program does not log anything and it
> crashes within seconds.

Won't syslog tell you this?

Cheers,
Steve.