[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1391
From: Ben Spencer
Date: 2007-01-10 16:00:05 -0500
Subject: single MX resolves to multiple hosts?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

I skimmed over the RFC and didn't see this addressed. The following
configuration seems to defeat the purpose of the MX weight (it also
seems to cause issues for milter-spiff -- well...depends how one looks
at it). This the following configuration legal per the RFCs?

(IPs and Host names changed to protect the annoying)

> set type=TXT
> mail.annoying.net
mail.annoying.net       text = "v=spf1 mx a:webmail.annoying.net -all"

annoying.net    nameserver = ns1.annoying.net
annoying.net    nameserver = ns0.annoying.net
> set type=MX
> annoying.net
annoying.net    MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.annoying.net

annoying.net    nameserver = ns0.annoying.net
annoying.net    nameserver = ns1.annoying.net
mail.annoying.net       internet address = 1.2.3.4
mail.annoying.net       internet address = 1.2.3.5

I seen reference to this on a qmail mailing list
(http://www.nylug.org/pipermail/nylug-talk/2005-September/028148.html),
but didn't see any RFC pointers.

Milter-spiff failed the related email message. I suspect it is because
the connecting mail server was 1.2.3.4 and milter-spiff's lookups
returned 1.2.3.5.

Thanks.

Benji

---