[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1335
From: Dennis Willson
Date: 2006-12-04 03:07:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Which milter does this?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

I believe (along with many others) that this is a bad idea.

By doing this you actually Spam others. Since almost all Spam uses
spoofed return addresses, then you wind up sending a confirmation email
to people that never sent you anything and they have to delete it and
treat you as a Spammer. There are now a number of blacklists that you
can wind up on for doing this as well, which could hamper your ability
to contact people you need to. There are many people that will not
acknowledge such a "Challenge/Response" system so you receive email from
some people from that aspect (how do normal people know it's a real C/R
or someone trying to verify email addresses to use for future Spamming?)

Overall it actually increase the amount of junk mail people have to deal
with... I recommend NOT doing this