[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1265
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-11-16 12:04:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Milter-link whitelisting per recipient problem

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Quentin Campbell wrote:
>> Where are the access.db lookups for <barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk>?
>>From further below it seemed that you had verbose=info,trace,db  There
>> is A LOT more access.db related output for the connection, MAIL, and
>> RCPT that doesn't appear here. These additional lookups should show
>> whether it finds the Spam:barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk FRIEND entry
>> or not.
>>

> This is a busy mail gateway with records being interleaved but I believe
> that the log extracts I provided in my original posting are complete for
> the message in question. I was using 'verbose=info,trace,db" and in
> /etc/mail/sendmail.cf I have:

Well I've been REALLY DENSE it seems. I should have seen this at the
start (too much on my mind it would seem).

You said you have these entries:

	milter-link-to:northumbria.ac.uk	SKIP
	Spam:barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk 	FRIEND

Well I should have remembered that the milter-link-to: lookups come
BEFORE the To:, Spam:, and untagged entries and that SKIP would stop the
lookup early! (I should have RTFM my own documentation.)

The complete lookup sequence for this RCPT would normally be:

	milter-link-to:barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk
	milter-link-to:northumbria.ac.uk
	milter-link-to:ac.uk
	milter-link-to:uk
	milter-link-to:
	to:barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk
	to:northumbria.ac.uk
	to:ac.uk
	to:uk
	Spam:barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk
	Spam:northumbria.ac.uk
	Spam:ac.uk
	Spam:uk
	barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk
	northumbria.ac.uk
	ac.uk
	uk

BUT the milter-link-to:northumbria.ac.uk SKIP stops this prematurely. So
you were originally correct to add:

	milter-link-to:barbara.tully@northumbria.ac.uk OK

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search