[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 1006
From: JPP
Date: 2006-07-09 11:59:42 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-link thinks all email is Auth'd OK?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:47:49 +0200, Anthony Howe wrote
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> JPP wrote:
> > On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:24:30 +0200, Anthony Howe wrote
>
> > Ok - question is why since there is no entry denying or accepting this IP/
> > Host or address in the access.db?
>
> Are you
>
> a) Relaying mail from some other server process on the same machine via
> 127.0.0.1? The loopback address is hard coded white listed.
>
> b) On some sort of virtual machine setup? This came up before with Jim
> Galley, where sendmail macros and other bits of info don't get set
> correctly when the sendmail process is in a VM. Sendmail needs to see
> the connecting client IP for some of its actions and to pass onto the
> milters. Talk to your hosting provider.

We are the hosting provider. Its a standard sendmail with MailScanner setup -
2 processes of sendmail running, but the milter is only set on the 'inbound'
one - the one that sees the mail - not the queue runner. So its not a VM in
that sense.

As for 127.0.0.1 - I doubt its that since once the mail gets 'accepted' it
gets written to a file in a queue directory and then picked up by the queue
runner process for delivery. 'Technically' 127.0.0.1 should not be involved.

> > Milter entries for one email that got delivered (from the milter list):
> > Did this email get scanned or was it whitelisted as it states at the
bottom?

> > Jul  9 08:45:52 smtp-gw sendmail[1363]: k69EjqQs001363: Milter (milter-
link):
> > init success to negotiate
> > Jul  9 08:45:52 smtp-gw milter-link[1364]: 00119 NOQUEUE:
filterOpen(806d8a0,
> > 'pop.snert.net', [193.41.72.72])
>
> Between the above line and the next you should have seen a pile of
> 'checking "/etc/mail/access.db" for' lines based on IP and client name.
>
> If you didn't see , then the sendmail process sees the inbound client
> connection as from the loopback interface (127.0.0.0/8 or ::1). This
> would be indicative of a VM setup that needs correction.

What I pasted was all I saw in the logs for that process. I manually parsed
the maillog for those entries. That is why I am confused.

> > Jul  9 08:45:52 smtp-gw milter-link[1364]: 00119 NOQUEUE: host
pop.snert.net
> > [193.41.72.72] OK
>
> Its white listed ^^HERE^^
>
> Alternatively your .mc file might have broken confMILTER_MACRO_* defines
> that removed some of the default macros assumed to be present. This
> article touches on the subject:
>
> http://www.snert.com/Software/ecartis/index.php?go=/milters/2006-06/959

Now there is a thought! I will go read and see if maybe the milter process
itself is not actting as it should.
pop.snert.net is not whitelisted anywhere, so there is some other ghost in
the machine that is making it think it is.

Will keep you posted.

JPP

7116561      http://www.snertsoft.com/

--
FRWS WebMail (http://www.frws.com)
Cause you deserve Spam and Virus free email...

Lists Index Date Thread Search