[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 975
From: Steve Campbell
Date: 2006-06-08 16:20:33 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-limit.cf file

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Mr. Howe,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Howe" <achowe@snert.com>
To: <milters@milter.info>
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:47 PM
Subject: [milters] Re: milter-limit.cf file

> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> Steve Campbell wrote:
>> Can you tell me where the "rejected" emails that are pending delivery
are
>> stored. I retested, setting a limit so that I would trigger a
>
> Messages are rejected with a 450 4.7.1 code, so they will be stored on the
> sending server's mail queue, not yours.

That's the thing, I have milter-limit installed on the sending machine,
which is the same as the receiving machine as a primary relay. The machine
that generates the message blocks the email. This is where the rejection
shows. Sort of an outbound throttle. I see the rejection on the sending
server's maillog.

In this test I set up, I have a From address in my access.db limited with
milter-limited. I am using the milter-limit-From as the tag in the
access.db. I use a webmail IMAP account of the From user and send enough
email to trigger the threshold to another account. So the sending and
receiving server are the same. Normally, the sending server queues the
message for retry in the outgoing sendmail queue, but I don't see this
anywhere.

My question is: Where is the email being queued for later retries? The
sending machine's queue files are what I am looking through.

Am I using this improperly? This all works the way it is intended - as the
outbound throttle. My intent was to throttle outbound maillist traffic, so
as not to swamp the server. What am I missing?

>> pending rejection, but do not see where these are. They are not in my
>> mqueue directory, and as I described, thousands of these may go pending
>> from a mailing list we use.
>>
>> Thanks very much for the response (and not yelling at me for my
>> stupidity).
>
> I don't like to yell. I prefer to nudge then bump before I slap (wink wink
> say no more...).

Bump a little harder, yell, nudge, or something, as I am still missing
something here.

Thanks for all of the time you are pouring into this.

Steve