[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 952
From: Taylor, Grant
Date: 2006-06-05 13:20:39 -0400
Subject: Question regarding the merits of milter flag to "Temporarily Reject"

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

While reading the "Sendmail Operations and Installation Guide" (v8.708) included
with Sendmail 8.13.6 I found that a flag can be passed to a milter to tell Sendmail to
either Reject or Temp Fail messages if the filter the flag is set on is not available.
Reference section 5.11 on page 86 of the Sendmail Op & Install Guide talks about
Milters.

I am considering configuring Sendmail to Temp Fail for many (if not all) of my milters if
the milter in question is not available.  However before I do such I was wondering what
other people's opinions on this are.  I am VERY impressed with what the milters from
Anthony / SnertSoft will do and how well they prevent a lot of spam.  I'm impressed so
much so that I am almost to the point that I do not want to accept email if I can not pass
the email through some of my filters.  Namely, I do not want to accept any email, but
rather Temp Fail if I can not perform sender verification and virus scan the email.

Below is the line pertinent to my milter from my master config file as it is.

	INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`milter-sender', `S=unix:/var/lib/milter-sender/socket,
T=C:30s;S:10s;R:10s;E:1m')

If I am reading things correctly I only need to add a "F=T" option  to cause
Sendmail to Temp Fail if the milter is not available.  Thus the above line would be
changed as such.

	INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`milter-sender', `S=unix:/var/lib/milter-sender/socket, F=T,
T=C:30s;S:10s;R:10s;E:1m')

Any thought's and / or opinions would be grately welcomed and appreciated.

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search