[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 908
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-05-01 12:00:00 -0400
Subject: Find the myth in link!

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

I'm happy to announce milter-link, a mail content filter that extracts
URLs, such as http: and mailto: links, from a message body and tests
them against one or more URI blacklists such as SURBL, URIBL, and
SpamHaus. It can handle plain text, HTML, and/or MIME encoded messages
on-the-fly and supports testing of nested URLs in "redirector" links.

Another interesting option of this milter, that is sure to prove
controversial I'm sure, is the ability to follow web links to verify if
they really exist or check if they are circular references and follow
redirections to the "origin" web server, which might be different from
the source link. The origin server can then be tested against the URI
blacklists. Essentially the assumption here is that unsubscribe / remove
links are broken in some fashion so that the spammer appears to comply
with opt-out requests, but does not. The other assumption is that a
spammer may have one primary web site, but specifies many different URLs
in many different messages in an effort to foil URI blacklists that list
the source link found in a message, but not the ultimate destination.
Regardless, its an option that can be enabled and tested if you find the
idea interesting.

http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-link/

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search