[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 877
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-04-03 10:11:30 -0400
Subject: milter-clamc experimental -K option

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

FYI milter-clamc, which I released just released, has an undocumented
experimental option:

   -K kilo    how many KB to pass to clamd, 0 for unlimited (default)

When specified, the number of KB given is used to compute how many 64K
chunks of the message body to pass to clamd. (Why 64K chunks? its a
sendmail/libmilter protocol thang.) This is similar to the -K option
used by milter-spamc.

The idea here is to reduce overhead and improve performance by only
sending enough of the message to clamd to identify mail born virii. Most
mail born virii and worms tend to be around 45K give or take the size of
the bait text and/or images.

The default is to scan the entire message and depending on your clamd
settings, archive (.zip, .rar) attachments. But how often are really
large messages going to be infected compared to current crop of critters
beating at the door.

Anyways, its there if people are interested in trying it. Note that its
experimental and undocumented, because I'm not sure what sort of impact
giving an incomplete message or chopped attachment would have on clamd,
so please bear that in mind.

Zen,

--
Anthony C Howe          Skype: SirWumpus                    SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78         AIM: SirWumpus    Sendmail Milter Solutions

Lists Index Date Thread Search