[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 831
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-02-26 02:51:54 -0500
Subject: Overloading access.db (was Re: Re: milter-sender & milter-ahead

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> I'm not sure what are you talking about but since you mentioned the
> access.db file for W/B lookups here are some late night thoughts of
> mine. IMHO, using the sendmail access file to define the behaviour of
> various milters (our experience includes milter-limit and
> milter-ahead) can be a frustrating up to traumatic experience.
>
> Sendmail defines its own access policy in that file and it can be
> complicated enough by itself alone. Adding new keywords in the same
> file sounded like a good idea in the beginning but letting them
> interact with the standard sendmail keywords creates potentially
> a mess.
>
> I would strongly prefer that the milters had their own configuration
> file(s) and in several cases some more flexible options (I'm referring
> to milter-limit at this moment).

The reason for using access.db to support B/W listing vs using a
separate configuration file for such things is to avoid duplication of
similar and related information in multiple files.

I found from experience that having to replicate B/W listing entries
across three mail related applications (sendmail, SpamAssassin,
procmail) to be really annoying and error prone (forgetting to update
one of the files, different syntaxes). I found that its easier to keep
all the information concerning a domain and/or IP grouped together.

Now in the cases of milter-limit, milter-length, and milter-bcc the
nature of their information is not B/W related in nature and could have
been placed in a separate file. The reasons for using Sendmail access.db
was to take advantage of existing code libraries used by my other
milters, to keep information centralised, and maintain a consistent
design for similar options across my milters. Sendmail itself has
overloaded access.db with many tags for different purposes (Connect:,
From:, To:, Spam:, GreetPause:, ClientRate:, ClientConn:, etc.).

--
Anthony C Howe       http://www.snert.com/     +33 6 11 89 73 78
AIM: SirWumpus            ICQ: 7116561          Skype: SirWumpus

Lists Index Date Thread Search