[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 811
From: John Hinton
Date: 2006-02-07 12:55:16 -0500
Subject: milter-ahead and backup mailservers

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

I've recently purchased the milter-ahead. This is the first milter I've
worked with.

I'm hoping to get some clarity on what to do as I'm working on a live
and active system.. hate to break mail.

This is my situation. I'm a hosting provider with many domains on
several RHEL/Sendmail servers. For the most part, I use one particular
server as the backup mailserver. I do however have a few vhosts on that
server and reverse the backup mailserver process back to another hosting
server for those accounts.

What I'm trying to do is stop dictionary attacks at the first entry
point. I have setup milter-ahead on one of my hosting servers, but am
still seeing many of the 'user doesn't exist' emails being forwarded on
to the backup mailserver. I know I need to setup milter-ahead on the
backup server but am a bit wary to do this without a better understanding.

It looks as if on the backup server I'll need to make entries in the
mailertable for the primary mailservers. Really milter-back instead of
milter-ahead. :)

I have configured on the backup mailserver all the domains for which
relaying is allowed.. the basics of the backup system. What I'm
wondering about, is what entries should be made to the mailtable on the
backup machine. Can I do this with one entry per server or will I need
to create an entry for each individual hosted domain account? For instance

servername.example.tld               esmtp:[ip_address_of_that_server]
or [servername.example.tld]

And if that entry looks correct, can I add just one primary
hosting/mailserver to the mailtable at a time? In other words, if the
entry doesn't exist, milter-ahead doesn't look, therefore doesn't reject
the email until other mailserver entries are made.

Thanks for any help and also thanks for this milter as I'm certain I'll
be able to deal with this nagging issue of bouncing bad mail around and
about on my systems.

Best,
John Hinton

Lists Index Date Thread Search