[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 788
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2006-01-10 03:51:02 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-limit: failed to open "/etc/mail/access.db":

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Skip Hayes wrote:
> I have this same problem, though it only occurs if I compile
> snert/src/lib with ./configure --with-db=/usr/local to make it find my
> berkeley db4 files. If I don't have it find my db4, it complains about
> only having db1, but it will read my access.db.
>
> OpenBSD 3.8 iirc ships with berkeley db1 and uses it for stuff like
> "makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access"... though I've
> installed DB4 to pimp my snert milters. Is it possible that when snert
> milters are told to use DB4, and makemap is using DB1 to make access.db
> that the milters are unable to read access.db?

If you build the milter/libsnert with DB4, then so too must sendmail and
its tools and the .db files they use. I don't support DB1. The The
Berkeley DB4 and DB3 code do not read DB1 files and access.db would have
been built by default using DB1 on OpenBSD.

What does /var/log/maillog say when you start the milter?

What did the ./configure summary for LibSnert report?

>> milter-limit: failed to open "/etc/mail/access.db": Invalid argument

Sounds like mismatched BDB libraries between sendmail, makemap, and the
milter.

Add the following to /etc/magic

	http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/install/magic.txt

then do

	file /etc/mail/access.db

If it say 1.85 or 1.86, your sendmail/makemap are using DB1 and are not
in sync with the milter using DB4. BTW if you rebuild sendmail, remember
to rebuild and install libmilter for that version of sendmail too.

I've updated my OpenBSD machine a few weeks ago to use BDB4 and it reports:

root@mx# file  /etc/mail/access.db
/etc/mail/access.db: Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, native byte-order)

>> bash-3.00# ls -la /etc/mail/access*
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    861 Jan  9 00:50 /etc/mail/access
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  65536 Jan  9 11:56 /etc/mail/access.db

World readable works.

>> bash-3.00# ps aux|grep -i milter
>> _vilter  17013  0.0  0.2  1060  1276 ??  Ss    12:02PM    0:00.01
>> /usr/local/libexec/milter-limit -f /etc/mail/sendmail.cf -t 60 -z bdb -H
>> /var/ram/milter-limit.sock

/var/ram ? Not /var/run ?

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

Sendmail Anti-Spam Solutions           http://www.snertsoft.com/
                                             We Serve Your Server

Lists Index Date Thread Search