[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 757
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-12-09 08:07:30 -0500
Subject: "Wake Up!" - Just in time for Xmas - Snert milter updates & something

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

** milter-error 0.1 (beta) released **

milter-error is the latest Snert milter, which counts the number of
aborted message transactions from SMTP clients. If a SMTP clients
exceeds the permitted threshold, then subsequent messages or connections
will be tagged, rejected, or discarded while the record remains in the
cache. Intended as a simple means to detect and block dictionary
attacks. The milter cache contents are saved as text strings so that
they may be processed easily by scripts or programs to generate lists of
suspicious IP addresses that can be then used for example in a firewall
if desired.

** Find the corner in a Roundhouse - update **

Roundhouse has been updated to 0.2. As previously mentioned, this is not
directly milter related, yet it might prove handy if you want to start
testing Sendmail X along side Sendmail 8 with the same data stream
during some up coming migration. Most notable fix was in the socket.h
file for a #define ordering problem on many *nix boxen. Also AUTH LOGIN
is now correctly supported.

** "Wake Up!" - Just in time for Xmas - Snert updates **

Well I've been a busy lad. Plugging away at bug fixes and some minor
enhancements across the whole range of my milters. The most notable
changes have been LibSnert, such as a new Socket2 API that provides IPv6
support (moved from Roundhouse into the common code base). With the
exception of milter-sender and milter-spamc, all my other milters and
socket oriented code now use Socket2. Milter-sender and -spamc using the
Socket2 / IPv6 code will be available in January, maybe before if I get
sometime during the Xmas holiday period.

Other significant LibSnert updates include two important bug fixes for
the DNS client code used by milter-sender, -siq, -ahead, and -spiff.

A new test for invalid TLD domains has been added to the B/W listing
code checks used by majority of the milters.

The SPF code has had several fixes so milter-spiff has been updated too.

The documentation for all the other milters have been updated to reflect
some previous LibSnert changes with regards to B/W list support used by
many of the milters. See the -f option concerning regex support and NEXT
action.

However, one of the most significant changes concerning existing
installations for all the Snert milters has been the switch from
/var/run/milter-* to /var/run/milter/milter-*. This places all the
milter .pid and .socket files in a directory that has the proper
privelages for the milter processes. Its also more tidy.

Seasons greetings to everyone.

http://www.snertsoft.com/

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

Sendmail Anti-Spam Solutions           http://www.snertsoft.com/
                                             We Serve Your Server

Lists Index Date Thread Search