[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 720
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-09-10 01:55:26 -0400
Subject: Re: Can't get milter-sender 1.4 to start

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Jeff Powell wrote:
> OK, your suggestion to install the sendmail devel files did the
> trick.  I got milter-sender 1.4 build successfully.  Now, however, I
> can't start it.  I don't have a clue why.  I have the log level in

And what does the log say when you start it?

> milter-sender.cf set to all, and sendmail's log level set to 10.
> When I try to start milter-sender using "service milter-sender start"
> on Mandriva Linux 10.2, it says FAILED.  On the other hand, if I try
> "milter-sender stop", it says OK.  This is with milter-sender stopped
> already.  It doesn't log anything at all when I do this.  Perhaps the
> startup script is broken.
>
> Jeff

Are you using the startup script supplied with the milter or some other
startup script?

Since its a Linux, then milter-sender lives in /usr/local/sbin, so what
happens if you simply type:

	# milter-sender
	# ps axf
	# tail -f -n 30 /var/log/maillog

milter-sender can be started directly without a startup script and
stopped directly without one too:

	# milter-sender -x

Typical reasons for not starting are read permission issues with
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf and/or /etc/mail/access.db, also
/var/cache/milter-sender and /var/run/milter-sender.pid and
/var/run/milter-sender.socket.

The 1.x milter-sender must initial start as root so that it can
create/open the necessary files in root-only locations (/var/cache and
/var/run), but once running switches to milter:milter ownership so the
above file must continue to be accessible to "milter" user or group.

If you're using a Mandrake, they have/had some annoying script that
periodically looks for changes of file/directory permissions and
ownership of key files, typically /etc/mail/access.db and
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf to stop undoing the permissions required by the
milter.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

Sendmail Anti-Spam Solutions           http://www.snertsoft.com/
                                             We Serve Your Server

Lists Index Date Thread Search