[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 680
From: cc
Date: 2005-08-02 22:08:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [DYNDNS] Re: Re: sender question

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

barryc wrote:

>Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
>More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
>Here's a block of pseudocode that might better elucidate what I was trying to
>get at:
>
>RECV_COUNT = get_number_of_received_headers();
>
>if (RECV_COUNT == 0)
>{
>   /*
>    * Assume my Received header has not yet been attached.
>    * Otherwise, we'd also have to check the first (most recent) header
>    * to see if it's ours
>    */

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the current mail
server's Recevied message won't be attached to the mail until the email
passes all the milters.

>   if ( client_has_smtp_auth() )
>      accept_message();
>   else if ( client_in_relay_domains() )
>      accept_message();
>   else /* some random computer is connecting to me directly */
>      reject_message();

     I wouldn't do a wholesale reject, but this part certainly requires
a lot more
direct spam vs. direct mail from friends (who happens to have dyndns
mail servers).

>}
>else
>{
>   /*
>    * I am not the first mailserver / relay to touch this message.
>    * this block COULD get ugly, depending on exactly what you want it to do.
>    * I'd actually be happy just with what's above
>    */

I get the feeling that it will get ugly.   Unless you limit the level of
checking to say 2-3.  I mean, after 3 received headers, I think it
should be
apparent as to whether the mail is legit or not.   Of course, it's
arbitrarily set.
Possibly a good configuration option, I would say.

>}
>Once you encounter a private IP, all bets are off. If that happens, your best
>bet is to pass the message and let the other milters decide what to do with it.

True.   I think if it goes to this stage,  it'll have to go through a
content scanner,
since the headers check won't come up with anything.

Edmund

Lists Index Date Thread Search