[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 561
From: Taylor, Grant
Date: 2005-05-17 17:44:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Problem (mis-configuration?) with Milter-Sender

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Disable GreyListRejectCount. I found while using it at work that there
> are too many brain dead mail servers that use queue retry times on the
> order seconds. As I recall they were the pointy-clicky variety operated
> by people who haven't a clue how to run a mail server and think "hey!
> wow! I have this ultra whizz bang super machine with all these free
> cycles to burn. I'll set the queue retry time to 10 seconds".
>
> GreyListRejectCount will generate lots of false positives for these
> annal retentive machines. That is why its been disabled and will
> probably be removed.

Hmm.  I personally like the GreyListRejectCount idea and would like to see it left in but
possibly disabled by default.  I personally would leave it running on my personal mail
server but I (apparently) can't do that with my companies mail server.  :(  Either way I'd
hate to see a good idea riped out b/c of the point-and-click type servers that you alluded
to.

> If you want to play with GreyListRejectCount, you have to adjust your
> GreyListBlockTime too, but given the above situation I noted from badly
> configured yet legitimate mail servers, its almost impossible to get it
> right. Set GreyListRejectCount=0.

> I would be surprised that university sys.admins. would set mail queue
> retry times so short. Somebody there needs a clue.

Said university system is a point-and-click setup that is notoriously sending (or trying
to) queued emails in 5, 10, 30 second intervals to start with.

> Nope. Any value should be possible.

Wok

> I know of no problems in the code (but I will look since I haven't
> decided whether to ripe it out yet or not). Only in its application as a
> technique.

Thanks for taking the time.  So far other than this issue all of your milters that we run
(7bit, Date, Sender, and SpamC) have been wonderful.  Thanks and keep up the good work.
:)

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search