[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 531
From: Taylor, Grant
Date: 2005-05-02 03:03:28 -0400
Subject: Re: new feature request

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Our server (LOCALMX) is mx for our own dialup clients and a few other
> networks. Dialup clients are whitelisted in access.db because they are
> local. Let's say a dialup client (MISTERX) sends an email through our
> server to a server outside our netwerk (EXTERNMX). This
> EXTERNMX has a mailfilter like milter-sender installed.
> EXTERNMX's milter-sender will now try to connect to LOCALMX in
> order to check if MISTERX exists on LOCALMX. However LOCALMX rejects
> the recipient adres saying "Greylisting activated".
> Which causes EXTERNMX's milter-sender to give an error, and mail is
> stalled in the send-queue.

When "...EXTERNMX's milter-sender will now try to connect to LOCALMX in order to
check if MISTERX exists on LOCALMX..." what email address is EXTERNMX using in the
"MAIL FROM:" command?  As I understand it milter-sender uses the null return
path email address of "<>" which is to be accepted by ALL MXs to be RFC
compliant.  I don't know if milter-gris is possibly handling this improperly, if the
server that is doing the call back (EXTERNMX) to LOCALMX is attempting to send with an
email address other than null reverse path, or if something else is messing with things.
I'd say that it's time to either turn up logging or start a traffic dump to look at thge
SMTP conversation.

Grant. . . .

Lists Index Date Thread Search