[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 460
From: Rice, Kevin
Date: 2005-04-02 18:20:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Milter-Spamc not running more thena 24 hours

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

-----Original Message-----
From: milters-bounce@milter.info [mailto:milters-bounce@milter.info] On
Behalf Of Anthony Howe
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:19 AM
To: milters@milter.info
Subject: [milters] Re: Milter-Spamc not running more thena 24 hours

Rice, Kevin wrote:
> b) was the process still running, but the socket disappeared?[Kevin
> Rice]  socket appears to have disappeared or was unavailable. Here's
the
> error- Milter (milter-spamc): error connecting to filter: Connection
> timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket

Thats what sendmail said, did you ls -l /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket to
verify it?
[Kevin Rice] I did not, but will find out next time it happens.

> d) if its still running, how much memory is it using?[Kevin Rice]
> although I have a process id it doesn't appear in top therefore
leading
> to believe it isn't running or using memory when it hangs.

Didn't you do a "ps axfl"?

Did spamd appear in the top list?
[Kevin Rice] it does appear at the top of the list

Ouch! Thats HUGE! That more likely to be the problem, spamd taking too
long to process messages, because of the number of rules and bayesian
stats. I thought 25MB was large, especially if you fork that per
message.

Do you have a large custom rule set?
[Kevin Rice] Yes

> g) do you have more than one spamd process?[Kevin Rice]  yes

How many on average?[Kevin Rice]  4 to 5

> h) does spamd rebuild the Bayes database every message? If so, change
it
> to do it based on a cron job.  If the system or per-user Bayes
databases
> get really large then this can slow down the system, because they take

> forever to update, this results in sendmail/milter-spamc
timeouts.[Kevin
> Rice]  Not sure if this is occurring, but will check.

Are you using SA 2.5x or SA 3.x?  I've no experience with SA 3, but if
its like verion 2, then a spamd process that is 103MB per message will
probably thrash the system.
[Kevin Rice] SA 3.x

How much physical RAM do you have?
[Kevin Rice] 2GB

What is the load like when milter-spamc goes silent?
[Kevin Rice] idle time is 97%

What are your current INPUT_MAIL_FILTER() T= setting?

What are your milter-spamc -t and and -T settings?
[Kevin Rice] T=C:1m;S:30s;R:6m;E:1m

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search