[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 430
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-03-31 13:02:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Disclaimer Milter

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Brian Rankin wrote:
> Am seeking a milter to add a disclaimer on all outbound messages; is there
> a Snert-based milter which does this?  The only milter I've seen so far is
> DisclaimerMilter at
> http://www.ledge.co.za/software/disclaimermilter/index.php.

There is no Snert milter for this. None of my milters modify the message
body, only headers (which is bad enough). This is a tricky thing to do
correctly, because you have to be able to properly handle MIME nesting.
You also take a performance hit because of how the sendmail handles
milter body content changes; as I understand it sendmail will save the
entire message to disk first, then pass the contents in chunks to the
milter, which will probably save another copy to disk, then modify the
content and give it back to sendmail. If this is a busy mail server,
then I think this is a BAD idea.

Anyways, as I recall, disclaimers are redundant, since as I understand
it there is an informational or BCP RFC that states that all email is
considered to be personal opinion, private, etc. And there is nothing
more annoying than a 20 line disclaimer (or signature) on a 2 line
email. If you're curious I suggest hunting through rfc-editor.org or
Google for it. I'm sure I saw something about this a few years ago.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search