[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 427
From: Rice, Kevin
Date: 2005-03-31 11:38:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Milter-Spamc not running more thena 24 hours

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Anthony,
Review my comments below.

-----Original Message-----
From: milters-bounce@milter.info [mailto:milters-bounce@milter.info] On
Behalf Of Anthony Howe
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:06 AM
To: milters@milter.info
Subject: [milters] Re: Milter-Spamc not running more thena 24 hours

Rice, Kevin wrote:

> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove

> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Hello Everyone,

> I've been running milter-spamc (0.25) successfully since its
development

> on two redhat 9 servers. One of those servers is now unable to run

> milter-spamc more than 24 hours. I having to continually restart

> milter-spamc.  Below are errors I'm receiving.

> Any assistance or suggestions anyone can provide is greatly
appreciated.

> sendmail[24440]: j2MC8CSH024440: Milter (milter-spamc): error
connecting

> to filter: Connection timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket

> sendmail[24440]: j2MC8CSH024440: Milter (milter-spamc): to error state

> sendmail[24440]: j2MC8CSH024440: [221.127.213.141] did not issue

> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

> sendmail[24441]: j2MC8IIF024441: Milter (milter-spamc): error
connecting

> to filter: Connection timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket

> sendmail[24441]: j2MC8IIF024441: Milter (milter-spamc): to error state

> sendmail[24444]: j2MC8NfP024444: Milter (milter-spamc): error
connecting

> to filter: Connection timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket

> sendmail[24444]: j2MC8NfP024444: Milter (milter-spamc): to error state

> Thanks,

When you see these errors

a) did you check if the process was still running?[Kevin Rice]  There is
always a process ID.

b) was the process still running, but the socket disappeared?[Kevin
Rice]  socket appears to have disappeared or was unavailable. Here's the
error- Milter (milter-spamc): error connecting to filter: Connection
timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket

c) was it hung?

[Kevin Rice]  didn't appear to be hung

d) if its still running, how much memory is it using?[Kevin Rice]
although I have a process id it doesn't appear in top therefore leading
to believe it isn't running or using memory when it hangs.

e) have you tried adjusting the T= timeout for the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER()

line to give a longer R: value?[Kevin Rice]  I have tried multiples
values, which only appear to either extend or shorten the time errors
occur.

f) how big are is your spamd processes?[Kevin Rice]  between 103mb and
110mb

g) do you have more than one spamd process?[Kevin Rice]  yes

h) does spamd rebuild the Bayes database every message? If so, change it

to do it based on a cron job.  If the system or per-user Bayes databases

get really large then this can slow down the system, because they take

forever to update, this results in sendmail/milter-spamc timeouts.[Kevin
Rice]  Not sure if this is occurring, but will check.

Remeber SpamAssassin is the Pig of Perl processes and is not threaded to

my knowledge, so it forks. I've seen several 25MB spamd processes push

CPU usage up and response time down. If you have LOTS of custom rules,

try and prune or merge some rule patterns. Avoid rebuilding the Bayes

files every message (use the journal).

Essentially there is not enough information in the sendmail logs to

point to the cause. Those errors can occur becuase the process has died,

is hung, or is really really busy.

--

Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78

http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:
7116561         AIM: Sir Wumpus

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search