[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 425
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-03-31 11:05:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Milter-Spamc not running more thena 24 hours

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Rice, Kevin wrote:
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've been running milter-spamc (0.25) successfully since its development
> on two redhat 9 servers. One of those servers is now unable to run
> milter-spamc more than 24 hours. I having to continually restart
> milter-spamc.  Below are errors I'm receiving.
> Any assistance or suggestions anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
>
> sendmail[24440]: j2MC8CSH024440: Milter (milter-spamc): error connecting
> to filter: Connection timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket
> sendmail[24440]: j2MC8CSH024440: Milter (milter-spamc): to error state
> sendmail[24440]: j2MC8CSH024440: [221.127.213.141] did not issue
> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
> sendmail[24441]: j2MC8IIF024441: Milter (milter-spamc): error connecting
> to filter: Connection timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket
> sendmail[24441]: j2MC8IIF024441: Milter (milter-spamc): to error state
> sendmail[24444]: j2MC8NfP024444: Milter (milter-spamc): error connecting
> to filter: Connection timed out with /var/lib/milter-spamc/socket
> sendmail[24444]: j2MC8NfP024444: Milter (milter-spamc): to error state
>
> Thanks,

When you see these errors

a) did you check if the process was still running?

b) was the process still running, but the socket disappeared?

c) was it hung?

d) if its still running, how much memory is it using?

e) have you tried adjusting the T= timeout for the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER()
line to give a longer R: value?

f) how big are is your spamd processes?

g) do you have more than one spamd process?

h) does spamd rebuild the Bayes database every message? If so, change it
to do it based on a cron job.  If the system or per-user Bayes databases
get really large then this can slow down the system, because they take
forever to update, this results in sendmail/milter-spamc timeouts.

Remeber SpamAssassin is the Pig of Perl processes and is not threaded to
my knowledge, so it forks. I've seen several 25MB spamd processes push
CPU usage up and response time down. If you have LOTS of custom rules,
try and prune or merge some rule patterns. Avoid rebuilding the Bayes
files every message (use the journal).

Essentially there is not enough information in the sendmail logs to
point to the cause. Those errors can occur becuase the process has died,
is hung, or is really really busy.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

"held in my arms / his sun washed face / eyes closed" - Anthony

Lists Index Date Thread Search