[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 399
From: YourShop SA Hosting
Date: 2005-03-17 05:56:08 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-ahead runs fine, then dies on OpenBSD

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On 2005-03-17 09:13:02, Anthony Howe wrote:
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> Todd Pytel wrote:
> > I've got milter-ahead 0.8 and libsnert 1.40 installed and, apparently,
> > correctly configured on an OpenBSD 3.5 system. Mail logs indicate
> > that the milter operates properly, caching results and generally
> > doing what it should. But after a short time (usually less than an
> > hour) the milter-ahead process dies. It sounds an awful lot like the
> > problem on FreeBSD mentioned in the thread started here:
>
> I suspect is this problem:
>
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and I presume NetBSD insist on using really old
> Berkeley DB 1.85, which Keith Bostic wrote and he has told me has
> several design problems and is no longer supported by him.
>
> All my efforts to narrow down the BDB cache problem in milter-sender
> (and my other milters that use a cache) points to the BDB 1.85 library,
> not the milter. I've grown so feedup with *BSD systems refusal to move
> forward in time in this one aspect, that milter-sender's default caching
> mode for *BSD is now "flatfile".

Why don't you install Berkeley DB somewhere like

   /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2

then compile sendmail with the m4 options

  PREPENDDEF(\`confINCDIRS',  \`-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include')
  PREPENDDEF(\`confLIBDIRS',  \`-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib')

compile libsnert with the compile option

  --with-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2

and finally compile any of the milters who use Berkely DB with the compile option

  --with-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2

and you're fine, on FreeBSD at least.

Claudio

> This should have been the case in milter-ahead 0.8 and libsnert 1.40. So
> use the -z option to switch the cache type and path. For example:
>
> 	-z flatfile,/path/to/cache.txt
>
> However, I later found two serious Cache flatfile related bugs in
> LibSnert 1.40 that are fixed in 1.41, which has yet to be released.
> Contact me to get access to a pre-release libsnert 1.41 and a small
> patch for milter-ahead.c.
>
> --
> Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
> http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:
7116561         AIM: Sir Wumpus

--
Claudio Eichenberger