[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 385
From: Chris M. Miller
Date: 2005-03-15 09:20:16 -0500
Subject: Re: milter-sender gets 550 when mx misunderstands as relay

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> I find that I often get bit by a misconfiguration of the remote MTA so
> that the MX verification is mistaken for a relay attempt.  Is there a
> way to trap and sidestep this in the same way that MxCallBackIpBlocked
> is done?
>
> Example:
>
> reply 550 5.7.1 MX 1 'mail.foo.com.' [aa.bb.yy.xx] for
> <response@bar.org> rejected address saying "<response@bar.org>...
> Relaying denied"

   I may be misunderstanding what you're driving at, but this appears to be
milter-sender acting exactly as it's intended. In this case,
'mail.foo.com', which is the registered MX server for bar.org refuses to
accept mail for the bar.org domain, which makes any address in the bar.org
domain invalid (or, at least, undeliverable). This is exactly the type of
thing that milter-sender is meant for.

   Is there some detail I'm missing?

Chris

Lists Index Date Thread Search