[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 328
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2005-02-12 02:15:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Ilegal instruction error when executing milter-ahead

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Aaron Berg wrote:
> First off I want to thank you for your patience. Milter-ahead compiled
> after runing make clean build.
>
> After setting up the socket directory and setting permissions, modifying
> the sendmail.mc and setting up a startup script I am getting the error
> "Illegal instruction". This doesn't seem to be an application error

Not sure, not heard of this before.

You said earlier that you were using gcc 3.2. You have not said what OS
and whether its a single CPU or SMP kernel.

It might be related to this:

As of gcc 3.4 the -fvolatile option was removed from gcc and they claim
it may have never worked correctly in the gcc 3 series. If you have
autoconf installed, remove all references of -fvolatile from the
configure.in scripts for both the library and the milter:

	cd com/snert/src/lib
	mv configure.in configure.in.orig
	sed -e 's/-fvolatile//' configure.in.orig >configure.in
	autoconf -f
	./configure
	make clean build
	cd ../milter-ahead
	mv configure.in configure.in.orig
	sed -e 's/-fvolatile//' configure.in.orig >configure.in
	autoconf -f
	./configure
	make clean build

The next release of my milters have already applied similar changes
(actually the configure.in scripts have had major overhauls).

> because I can't find "Illegal instruction" when I grep the source unless
> its in one of the compiled libraries.
>
> Maillog only gives the PID/GID that milter-ahead tries to execute with.

You saying that the milter gets only as far as displaying the process
pid and gid then goes boom? You don't see the versions and copyrights?
Have you increased the logging (-v all) for more details?

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search