[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 274
From: Brian Somers
Date: 2004-12-07 12:31:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Why is milter-sender removed from FreeBSD ports

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:46:42 -0500, "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@megacity.org>
wrote:
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Brian Somers wrote:
> >> My guess would be #4 of the license agreement of milter-sender.
> >>
> >> 4. Non-commercial redistribution, including but not limited to
> >> mirrors,
> >> archives, collections, bundles, CDROMS, of the original source
> >> archive,
> >> derived binaries, and/or patches is NOT permitted without the prior
> >> written permission in hardcopy (letter or fax) from the author.
> >
> > In which case someone should have added
> >
> > NO_CDROM=	Author doesn't allow redistribution
> > NO_PACKAGES=	Author doesn't allow redistribution
> >
> > to the Makefile.
>
> Unless, of course, the FreeBSD people never had permission to even
> distribute it via the ports mirrors themselves, right?

You're right, it also needs:

RESTRICTED=	Author doesn't allow source redistribution

to stop the mirrors from picking up the source archive.

> > Personally I find the whole thing a bit irritating - now I get the
> > pleasure
> > of either never upgrading milter-sender again or figuring out yet
> > another
> > way of tracking software - which is something that won't happen as
> > I've got
> > a lot of better things to do with my time and way too many machines to
> > keep
> > an eye on...
> >
> > Oh well, I suppose a free version will be developed eventually!
>
> A dependency upon a single form of licensing can be a person's undoing.

I'm not too hung up on the license as Anthony is more looking for control
of the software than restriction (well, at the moment anyway).  My problem
is the tracking of it.  The FreeBSD ports tree allows me to maintain
a lot of software on a lot of machines at very little (time) cost.  I'm
irritated that milter-sender has left the FreeBSD ports tree for what are
probably bad reasons....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>