[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 128
From: Rose, Bobby
Date: 2004-10-06 11:47:55 -0400
Subject: Milter-sender question

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

This is a question on null <> addressing and rfc interpretation.  I have
a sending system that looks to have some kind of rule base that allows
<> but then when the rcpt to is done, it's refused.  My manual testings
is like this.

220 *********************************************************
helo med.wayne.edu
250 chwmail.chw.org Hello med.wayne.edu (146.9.3.78)
MAIL FROM:<>^M
250 sender ok <>
RCPT TO:<LWeik@chw.org>^M
550 Rule imposed mailbox access for LWeik@chw.org refused

But if I try with the mail from as a non-null then it works.  I'm
thinking they have it set so that <> only works if sent to their mailer
daemon and not users.  I haven't been able to verify it and it confused
me because of their 550 error.  So if it is a case where <> is allowed
but not allowed to send to users, is that against the RFCs?  If not,
then should <> test and the sender verification test be separate?

Bobby Rose
Sr Systems Administrator, MSIS Network Operations
Wayne State University School of Medicine <http://www.med.wayne.edu/>
brose@med.wayne.edu <mailto:brose@med.wayne.edu>

Lists Index Date Thread Search