[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 94
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-09-24 08:34:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Milter-Sender - Milter-Gris

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Sascha Vogt wrote:
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> Hi Mark!
>
> Recently I setup a system just with milter-spamc and milter-sender (and of
> course amavis). Before I also included milter-gris most of the time. Now I
> realized that milter-sender does it's own greylisting.
>
> Now my question:
>
> Does milter-sender include all functionality of milter-gris or is there a
> different behaviour?

Yes. milter-gris is a passive filter that closely resembles Grey Listing
as described here:

	http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

milter-sender is an active filter who's primary technique is The
Callback (and Callahead when enabled). milter-sender uses Grey Listing
as secondary techinque only when the The Callback yields an
indeterminante result (assuming MxAcceptsAllAction is set to a grey list
variant).

You can use milter-gris and milter-sender together, but you may
experience some delays in mail delievery, because the two milters do not
use the same cache and so it can happen that a mail may have to pass two
grey-listing tests. Given that some servers have really long retry
periods or back-off schemes, you can end up with some very late mail on
the order of 24 hours or more depending.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search