[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 83
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-09-23 06:01:14 -0400
Subject: Re: [LFN14080312] milter-spamc setup generating

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Frank Heydlauf wrote:
> I think assuming a spammer would not set "X-Spam-Flag: no" in his
> mail would be naive.
> And why should I scan a message again if it's already marked as
> spam (here: containing X-Spam-Flag:)?

Because you don't trust outside sources to tell you what to think (as I
reaches for my mind control ray gun).

> Setting X-Spam-Flag to "YES" or another value is only a hack because
> empty headers would be removed by some (all?) MTAs.

No. Its not a hack. Its a header that represents a program variable -
variables VARY by definition.

	http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=variable

> There seems to be a big difference between milter and exim installations.
> Exim in the recommended setup
> http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/node12.html
> does *not* alter or delete existing X-Spam-Flag Header nor does it append
> new ones - ist's just not necessary!

It is necessary for exactly the reason you gave earlier: a spammer may
attempt to fake the header, therefore prior occurrences of such a header
that appear are always suspect. The header should only reflect the
opinion of the last (delivering) mail server to scan it, which should a
server in your control.

> But fully regardless if it's wrong or naive - there are countless
> exim installations with the setup mentioned above and the inherent
> danger of causing false positives if they receive mails already
> filtered by a milter setup in the way you recommend.
> That's what I wanted to tell you.

I really want to say something snide with lots of expletives as to what
I think about Exim in this case. Suffice it to say, I'll restrain myself
for the moment.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search