[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 71
From: Frank Heydlauf
Date: 2004-09-22 17:12:15 -0400
Subject: [SIQ] 020 [LFN14080312] milter-spamc setup generating false positives

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Hi folx,

half a year ago we discovered a false positive problem caused by the
milter-spamc setup described in
http://www.milter.info/milter-spamc/index.shtml
(formerly http://www.snert.com/Software/milter-spamc/)
Sadly I did not get a reaction from Anthony when I wrote him - now
try again using the new list he subscribed me.

| The report headers inserted by milter-spamc are:
| X-Spam-Flag      Boolean "YES" or "NO" as to whether the message is
spam.

That causes the problem. In the default Spamassassin
config the X-Spam-Flag tag is only set, when the message
is classified as spam - and is complete absent if the
message is ham.
This is to prevent a spammer from setting "X-Spam-Flag: no"
by himself and bypass client side filters.
The clients (as we and probably many others do) filter for
the existens of X-Spam-Flag. If it's set - with "Yes" or "no"
or whatever - the message is treated as spam.

Therefore I strongly encourage Anthony and the whole list
to change the documentation and settings to prevent other
milter users running into false positives.
TIA.

Best regards
Frank Heydlauf
--