[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 65
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-09-21 17:46:02 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-sender problems

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:
> Hi I installed milter-sender today on a Linux/Debian system(sendmail
> 8.12.3-6.6 [Debian]) and have a few problems with it, perhaps someone
> can explain them:
>
> 1. milter-sender doesn't react on SIGQUIT signal, I have to kill it
> with SIGKILL.

This was recently reported by Mike Boev. It appeared when I added the
smfMainStart() routine in LibSnert 1.36. It has been fixed in 1.41, to
be released sometime soon.

> 2. It doesn't write information to the cache file. (bdb is selected,
> file is created, but no data is inserted into it)

This I cannot answer. How BDB handles its writes I do not know. It
should happen when the milter is stopped or at predetermined intervals.
I've not asked Keith about it.

> 3. For some domains milter just doesn't do greylisting, without an
> obvious pattern... (they are not in the sendmail access_db or
> somewhere else)

The grey-listing is a secondary technique only used when the call-back
technique results in an indeterminant answer. This of course assumes
your setting of MxAcceptsAllAction is one of the four grey-list
variants. Also consider, has the domain past a previous challenge
successfully and therefore been cached only to spam afterwards.
Grey-listing cannot stop a spammer that plays by the rules.

I would need some example domains to test against and/or log extracts in
order to determine what is doing wrong, since its unclear to me why it
would by-pass otherwise. If its a cache related problem, then you might
have to go back a far bit in time to figure it out.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search