[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 61
From: Eric Sauvageau
Date: 2004-09-20 13:48:56 -0400
Subject: Re: milter-ahead action for no response

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> I use milter-ahead on a gateway MTA. My question is, does milter-ahead
> only reject with "user unknown", if the next MTA is contactable and says
> that it isn't accepting delivery for that user?

I'll leave that one to someone else. :)

> Or does milter-ahead reject with "user unknown" if the next MTA is down or
> temporarily unreachable?

No, in such a case by default it should accept the mail.  Then your local
MTA should queue it up up to the number of days specified in your
configuration.

> I had a case today where it looked like a user who has existed for months,
> got into the milter-ahead cache as unknown. I'm guessing that
> coincidentally mail came into the gateway for him at a moment when the
> connection to the next MTA timed out. After restarting milter-ahead, mail
> for him was accepted again.

I don't think milter-ahead caches negative answers, onoy positive answers.
 The problem might have been a temporary issue at the other end at the
specific moment that mail came in.

--
Eric Sauvageau
mtl.meplus.com Administrator.