[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 34
From: James Tanis
Date: 2004-09-15 10:29:37 -0400
Subject: Re: Business model?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

In message <Pine.LNX.4.60.0409150955140.30271@morpheus.theendless.org>,
morpheus avows:
%--- Begin Cite ---%
> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> I agree.  Eric Raymond wrote a couple essays on this topic.  I'm pretty
> much in line with the view that the software should remain free for
> everyone to use and maybe some sort of support contracts can be sold.
> Mysql has persued this avenue.  You could also release a product (and it
> 's
> source) and offer the service of customizing it for someones needs for a
>
> fee.
>
> I understand your situation, it's everyone's right to be able to put foo
> on their tables while enjoying what they do.  However, acting on a set o
> principles is also important.  I only use open-source software for this
> reason.  Take the good with the bad.

Uh.... Look I hate to be a downer here, but speaking as someone who as
already given his specific agreement to being included on this list, it's
MHO that this subject is off topic for the list. This is supposed to be
about milters not business models. Now certainly one has to accept a
certain ammount of "off topic" traffic on any list, but as this has become
a full blow discussion, and one Anthony probably is interested in having,
perhaps it could be moved to a blog?

[ACH: I would suggest http://www.milter.org/ ]

Cheers,
/jtt