[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 31
From: Ivan Zilic Schmidt - Maingroup Inc.
Date: 2004-09-15 09:55:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Business model?

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Quoting Eric Sauvageau <merlin@mtl.meplus.com>:

> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> Anthony, I see a tendency to move into reselling services more than
> software these days.  I've seen quite a few companies on the Internet
> offering professional services for the installation of softwares such as
> Webmin or MailScanner.  I'm sure quite a few people would be willing to
> pay someone (in this case, you) to have him compile, install and test a
> milter or an Apache module on their server.  I think this might be an
> easier model to implement than selling software, albeit this would move
> you back into the sysadmin game :)
>
> As a technician working for a computer reseller myself, I can tell you
> that over the past 5 years we have shifted our main business from
> reselling hard/software to reselling service.  This was the only way we
> could survive in a market overcrowded by the major competitors.  The large
> retailers might sell cheap PCs to our customers, but we are the one
> installing them in network at their offices.  And this is where the profit
> margins are the most interesting.
>
> The other option could be to go with something similar to Sendmail: have a
> plain, do-it-yourself free product, and offer a bundled product with
> professional service.  Maybe some easy to use GUI installer for your
> milter for example, going as far as fetching the sendmail sources to
> compile libmilter if required (this is just an example).  The only real
> support for those using a free version would be community-base (i.e. this
> mailing list).
>
> Just my two cents.
>

> --
> Eric Sauvageau
> mtl.meplus.com Administrator.

I agree 100% with that model. I have a small company in chile, southamerica, and
our business model is exactly that. And for four years it has been a very
succeful way to make business in the computer-internet area.

Best regards,

Ivan Zilic Schmidt
Maingroup Inc.
www.maingroup.net
ivan.zilic@maingroup.net
Phone (56-2) 326 07 84
Mobile (56-9) 872 65 63

"Unix is a very user friendly OS, it's just picky about who it makes friends
with"

"In a World without walls and fences who needs WINDOWS and GATES?"

This message is virus free, sent via http://www.MainMail.net .

Lists Index Date Thread Search